Sunday, September 16, 2007

New Wheels



So. Here's the dilemma: I (Deb) kind of need a way to get to work. Tim and I have been exploring many options. I could walk to the hospital, but that would be a long walk and I do plenty of that as a nurse anyway. Biking was an option, however we thought it might be a little dangerous to bike on the side of the road with traffic, and then I'd have to bike home after dark. Then we thought, "How about the bus?" We checked into the bus schedules and unfortunately, many nights there is no bus available to take me home. A car is out because, well, one car is plenty of money out here (insurance has doubled. But you do the math. Having 2 cars in PA was cheaper than having one car in LA) The ad should say "Geico could save you 15% or more on car insurance, except for in California. Everything here is expensive - get over it." But besides insurance, there is no place to park a second car, the upkeep would be expensive as well as not very economical. The solution: a scooter. We went to a local motorcycle/scooter dealer and went home with our new wheels. Dot (our scion's name) has a new sibling, yet to be named. It's a Honda Metropolitan scooter. It's small, zippy and get's 70-80 miles to the gallon. We're real Californians now! Especially since we now frequent Trader Joe's for groceries. We've scoped out the routes to the Hospital and have found a good, safe one to get me to and from the hospital, which happens to drive me past the famous Father of the Bride house. I'm going to take a scooter safety course too, so I'll get back to you on what tidbits I learn. We'll be taking it on the Freeway's in no time... ;)

We're still ready and waiting for visitors. And when you do come, we'll be glad to cruise you around town on our scooter. It may be a slow ride, but we'll still be saving gas! :)

2 comments:

Aaron said...

I have a name for your scooter - and it is The '97. Tim, you will surely know what I'm talking about.

Katie said...

Do you have a name for it yet??